Text and Data-Mining Legal Fellow (part time)
Location: Remote, United States
Time commitment: Hours are flexible and we can work with applicants for a schedule that is mutually agreeable. Our working expectation is that the role will require 15-20 hours per week (flexible) for 25-30 weeks
Decision date: Rolling review begins in March 2023
Start date: Candidate’s earliest availability, but anticipated summer 2023.
Description: The mission of Authors Alliance is to advance the interests of authors who want to serve the public good by sharing their creations broadly. We create resources to help authors understand and enjoy their rights and promote policies that make knowledge and culture available and discoverable.
Authors Alliance seeks to hire for a Text and Data Mining Legal Fellow (TDM Legal Fellow), which will assist Authors Alliance as part of its project Text and Data Mining: Demonstrating Fair Use, the goal of which is to expand the reach and impact of text and data mining copyright exemptions for researchers in the United States. We aim to do this by developing educational materials and workshops on legal options for text and data mining, and documenting the opportunities and limitations of current law.
The TDM Legal Fellow will primarily focus on conducting research and helping draft a report that highlights how active TDM projects use existing legal protections, and in what ways current law fails to support that work and could be improved. We anticipate the Fellow will have the opportunity to work with copyright experts, computer scientists, librarians, and digital humanities researchers.
The ideal candidate will
- Have, or currently be pursuing, a law degree OR have or currently pursuing a degree in a field related to digital humanities
- Have an interest in and familiarity with copyright law; and
- Be knowledgeable and passionate about authors’ rights and access to knowledge.
We believe that this position will involve substantial experiential learning and we would be pleased to work with students who seek course credit for this role.
Wage: The TDM Fellow will be paid $22/hour.
- Please send a cover email and résumé to email@example.com.
- Applications will be considered on a rolling basis beginning on March 1, 2022.
- All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, or disability.