Copyright controls how you can use the works of authors who came before you as well as how others can use your works. But the law is often arcane and its complexity can feel overwhelming. It doesn’t have to be this way! Our copyright fundamentals resources are designed to help you understand the basics of copyright and to tackle some of the stubborn myths and misconceptions surrounding our copyright system. This information will empower you with information you can use to understand and manage your copyrights.
- Read our FAQs on authorship and ownership in U.S. copyright law.
- Understand the benefits of registering your work with the U.S. Copyright Office.
- Learn how to register your work with the U.S. Copyright Office and when to update or supplement a registration.
- Find out how the public domain can benefit authors and learn more about how to identify public domain works.
- Browse our coverage of copyright-free works in the public domain.
- Learn about your options if your academic article is the target of a DMCA takedown notice.
- Read why authors care about orphan works.
- Visit our rights reversion, termination of transfer, open access, and fair use resource pages for more in-depth information about these topics.
- Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.