Copyright controls how you can use the works of authors who came before you as well as how others can use your works. But the law is often arcane and its complexity can feel overwhelming. It doesn’t have to be this way! Our copyright fundamentals resources are designed to help you understand the basics of copyright and to tackle some of the stubborn myths and misconceptions surrounding our copyright system. This information will empower you with information you can use to understand and manage your copyrights.
- Read our FAQs on authorship and ownership in U.S. copyright law.
- Learn about the differences between trademark rights and copyright and how these rights can arise in the publishing industry.
- Read how plagiarism and copyright infringement differ.
- Understand your options if your academic article is the target of a DMCA takedown notice.
- Read why authors care about orphan works.
- Understand the benefits of registering your work with the U.S. Copyright Office.
- Learn how to register your work with the U.S. Copyright Office and when to update or supplement a registration.
- Find out how the public domain can benefit authors and learn more about how to identify public domain works.
- Browse our coverage of copyright-free works in the public domain.
Copyright for Fiction Authors:
- Learn about copyright protection for literary characters, fair use and parody in fiction, and elements of fiction that simply outside of copyright protection.